Monday, June 3, 2013

One more charming Memphis BBQ sandwich

My amazing husband and I were driving around town, running errands, and became hungry. We drove up and down Restaurant (Skid) Row to find what we might want. All of my choices naturally involved boneless fried yardbird, which was out of the question. My husband has to be in the mood for poultry, sadly. We don't live in a super foodie burg, and we didn't feel like the hike to greater civilization. We narrowed it down to Hardee's (Carl's Jr. for you West Coast dwellers) or Burger King.

I'm way more pimpalicious than that damn redheaded clown.
I was hoping that the loaded tater tots would still be available, because loaded potato anything is my husband's idea of a very good time. Hey, get your mind out of the gutter! A good time at dinner! (I can't say I disagree.) Sadly, the limited edition tots have already been discontinued. They had a better flavor than the hockey triangles of smashed potato at Arby's, to be perfectly honest. 

Loaded tots and peach iced tea. I specifically ordered both of these and enjoyed both simultaneously.

In fact, many of the delicious introductions that Burger King have no doubt introduced to revive business were gone. I'm sorry if you didn't get to try them. Many of them were actually quite good... but that's another blog post for another time.

I'm usually reluctant to order the same thing as my husband, especially if it's a new dish neither of us have tried before. However, I really did not see anything else that I wanted more than the Memphis BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich. My husband also ordered a bacon burger with cheese just in case the barbecue sandwich did not live up to expectations. 

Photographed by the Cooking Cleric.





The artisan-style bun was warm, soft and fresh; perfect for containing the rich mother load of tender, unctuous barbecued pork. The barbecue sauce was rich and tangy, with a good balance between sour vinegar and sugar, highlighted with tomato and savory spices. The sweet Southern sauce honestly tasted like a mild sweet butter, and I would not eat this sandwich without it. I wanted a little more heat from the sauce and thought about adding a few dashes of Texas Pete. I am so glad the helpful person behind the counter recommended this sandwich. I would honestly give it an 8.5 out of 10 stars.

In the words of the immortal assassin Jules Winnfield, this sandwich was made from "one charmin' m*thaf*ckin' pig. ...ten times more charming than that Arnold on Green Acres." Oink.

CC

No comments:

Post a Comment