Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Snapple Rain = Divine Ambrosia

In case you don't remember it, Snapple Rain was a precious clear nectar that quenched many hot, nasty thirsts. The kind of thirst you get in the dog days of summer when your tongue begins to swell and adhere to the roof of your mouth. Thirst that feels like this: 

“I love like I’m thirsty. Can I offer you a tall glass of Sahara sand?
”
 But probably really looks like this:
Ooh, I was a wee bit thirsty. That's better.

Snapple Rain was produced in the 90's, that magical decade of many amazing things. I could write the history of the Elements series of beverages, or tell you when Snapple Beverage Corp. discontinued Rain. However, I realize two things: you have a search engine and you also probably don't really care about the backstory.

I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the harsh winds blow

It was made from white grape juice, prickly pear extract, and agave cactus nectar. The flavor was indescribable... imagine that you are drinking the most divine sweet water with delicate white fruits. Rain brought to mind the succulence of aloe vera minus the green flavor (probably because of the cactus), the clean flavor of pear juice and the sugariness of white grape together. Perhaps the most perfect drink ever made. My husband and I bonded over our mutual love for this drink in our early relationship. That's how damned good it was. 

All right, add ten years and ten pounds... on the girl. (Not ashamed of being plump!)
I dare you: do a search for "Bring Back Snapple Rain" on your browser. Far more popular than say, "Bring Back Sharkleberry Fin Kool-Aid" or "Bring Back Hubba Bubba Soda." (Both of those products were also amazing, by the way. We had products in the '90's that tasted like the colors pink and teal look together. Yes, that awesome.)

It even came in a diet variety for those of you who like the nasty taste of aspartame!
Later, Snapple put Rain drink in this ridiculous aluminum can that completely ruined its fragile flavor. The aluminum taste leached right into the drink and altered the flavor in a horrible way. Cadbury Schweppes killed the Elements drinks after the bad decision switch to aluminum bottles. They don't realize how much CASH CASH MONEY they'd make if they could bring back the original recipe in the glass bottle, but then again, they probably don't care. 

There are definitely CEOs out there who look like this. I'm sure of it.
The name of my blog is F.U.C.K. For Unlawful Culinary Knowledge. A lot of people haven't tasted Rain before. My challenge to you: find someone who was at least 16 years old in 2000 (not born after 1984) who was a Rain aficionado. Take the basic ingredients of Rain and recreate the drink. Let the Rain freak give it the seal of approval. Send me the recipe so I can recreate it. I will do my very best to make you a celebrity. 

In the immortal words of the animator Tite Kubo, “If I were rain /that joins sky and earth that otherwise never touch / Could I join two hearts as well?” Rain has united many people. Sign the petition to bring back the divine nectar here.

CC

33 comments:

  1. Keep fighting Brothers and Sisters!

    ((Fellowship of RAIN))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never mixed a drink before... well, not non-alcoholic anyways. But this. This I may have to attempt. This may make me rethink my skills as an amateur culinary dabbler. Some research will be in order. And though it's been a long time since I've put that wonderful flavour to my lips, I believe I can, with time, recreate an approximation to Snapple's Rain. Of course, it probably won't be exactly the same, but if I can pull this off, thousands will rejoice as their mouths pucker up for no reason other to ask for more. I accept your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss this so. Dont think they realize that Snapple employed scientist to make their concoctions. The sad fact is most who left didnt give their specifics on the formulas. They made sure they met guidelines and health factors but held dear their ideas. They may have lost that and before spending millions trying to receive them. They decided to downsize to their number 1 sellers and sit back..I really wish they would somehow get this collection back on board because we would support them and stock it away in case they didnt want to keep production.

      Delete
  3. Has anyone been able to duplicate this devine beverage? It will forever remain my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Petitions to bring them all back Please sign

    http://www.change.org/petitions/snapple-beverage-corp-bring-back-snapple-elements

    http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/bringbackelements

    ReplyDelete
  5. Signed the petition... there is a lot of support when You google bring back snapple elements. I posted on my FB to get some friends to consider

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear God how I miss this drink. While most college kids would go to the gas station to buy beer, I hauled my but after class to the nearest station to get a bottle of Snapple Rain. Its sweet sweet and oh so refreshing taste provided an unrivaled satisfaction. Yes, I would buy no less than 6 at a time. Snapple stock would increase dramatically if they brought this back with the original recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here are the ingredients, make what you will with them:


    Water, Corn Syrup High Fructose, Citric Acid, Flavoring Natural, Flavors Natural Prickly Pear Cactus, Grapes Juice White, Agave Nectar, Astragalus Extract, Ginseng Extract, Pears Prickly Cactus Puree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and caffiene. I used to buy this between classes while in college. Snapple Elements Rain was one of the most comforting parts of college.

      Delete

  8. My daughters and I loved the Elements, especially Rain. I would love to see these beverages returned to the market. A juice made from cactus is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

  9. My daughters and I loved the Elements, especially Rain. I would love to see these beverages returned to the market. A juice made from cactus is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I long for elements rain to return. And the 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I long for elements rain to return. And the 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Working on it, but it's been so long I can't remember quite what the taste was like.

    Trying to mix http://truenopal.com/ with agave nectar and grape juice. The grape juice overpowers the cactus flavours easily though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use white grape, it is more delicate and less overbearing

      Delete
    2. White Grape, Pear, and Apple are all used as natural "filler" juices to help fill out more expensive ones for juicing plants. Each has their pros and cons as well as what they tend to work best in. I personally loved Fire, and that uses pear concentrate. Just as long as you pick a good complimentary flavor, you can't go wrong.

      Delete
  13. God I miss this So much, granted I was born in 1990, so I guess I'm not as cool as some one born in 84... but this drink was my blood for a while, I drank so much of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This product was the highlight of my childhood. I will do what I must to recreate the same highlights for my daughter...starting with taste buds..

    ReplyDelete
  15. we need to get this brought back I was devastated when these were discontinued I used to drink 4 or 5 a day !!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have found a gold mine of sharkberry fin Kool aid believe it or not oh but rain I would kill for

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was only turning 9 in 2000 but I remember Snapple Rain and I LOVE it. It is still to this day my absolute favorite drink. They really should bring it back damn it

    ReplyDelete
  18. Snapple has got to be the biggest idiots of all time everyone who tasted this drink in the glass bottle are all saying the same thing and I agree it was my favorite drink and I still crave it almost daily I just seen a seller ad for one bottle 45 dollars and if I had it this second I would be buying it I literally drank like 8 of them everyday and have so many friends that also would clean out stores of the rain drink if you have such demand for this why wouldn't you atleast do a trial for a limited time and see just how much money you would make I mean c'mon what a bunch of idiots if I'm considering paying 45 dollars for one bottle that should say something.

    ReplyDelete
  19. https://www.change.org/p/dr-pepper-snapple-group-bring-back-snapple-elements-fe210c86-8b21-497c-a9bb-48de0c5b862d

    PLEASE SIGN THIS NEW PETITION LETS GET THE WORD OUT

    ReplyDelete
  20. https://www.change.org/p/dr-pepper-snapple-group-bring-back-snapple-elements-fe210c86-8b21-497c-a9bb-48de0c5b862d

    PLEASE SIGN THIS NEW PETITION LETS GET THE WORD OUT

    ReplyDelete
  21. Still attempting to get this right...though I never found the aluminum can problem to be as bad as you describe, it still tasted the same to me glass or aluminum for the most part...

    I drank like 3 Rain/Fire/Subzero per day when they were making them when I was in middle/high school...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I cry in the inside every time I think about how much I miss Rain, I was a fan of the original 4 flavors, but Rain was the best. I would drive an hour out of my way any chance I got just to buy a bottle of that delicious Rain. I wish somebody would bring this back like now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rain was my favorite drink until they discontinued it. I love it for a short while and have missed it ever since. I didn't discover rain until it was in aluminum bottles but it was great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. https://www.instagram.com/p/CaFwf_pBZUR/

    ReplyDelete